Saturday, April 26, 2008

SALT LAKE 1/2 MARATHON

All I can say is, "I finished." It wasn't pretty (my running, that is,) and it wasn't a record, but I finished.
Here is the highlight. I was at the starting point, really disappointed to be alone in a strange place, on an unfamiliar course, without anyone I knew to cheer me on by my side. Then, someone shouted, "Angel Mathews!!!" (maiden name). And there in my face was an old St. George friend of mine and her husband - in a crowd of 12,000 people. How kind is our Heavenly Father. And we were at the same pace (well, for about 1/2 of it. Then they left me in their dust.)

There were times I wanted to quit, but I had some pressure to finish, though. Sai had to be at the airport by 10:30 a.m. to catch a flight to a wedding in San Fran. That, and Johnny Cash singing, "Orange Blossom Special" on my ipod shuffle kept me shuffling!!!
I just learned of a new site that looks fun - marathonmommies.blogspot.com. Check it out if you like to run.
I'm looking forward to the St. George FULL marathon this Oct.
Thanks to my pals for your comments.

9 comments:

Kristen said...

Congratulations Angel!!! You are amazing!

Jen said...

All I can say is WOW!

i'm erin. said...

angel, you are an ANGEL!!! I know, I am so original. HOly stink, you are my inspiration. When I am out putting my 3 1/2 miles, I really do think of you.

Kristin Lynne said...

Congrats!!! That is such a great accomplishment and you should be so pleased with yourself!

Jen Lee said...

You are awesome! I have done a half before and it was pretty fun, but to do a full marathon scares me silly! You are so brave!

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl! I am so proud of you! You look awesome and I'm sure you had that marathon glow after you finished!

Patria said...

CONGRATULATIONS ANGEL! so fun to read of your major accomplishment. marathon's scare me...but i'd love to train and attempt it one day. thanks for your post!

sanaejames photography said...

Congrats on another feat! You are my hero. Seriously....I am in the process of getting fit myself. One of these days I will do a marathon myself. For now, I am going to Gold's everyday and trying to get back into shape.

Amberli said...

nice job! congrats! completing the race is so rewarding. i'm real jealous that you're doing the st. george in october. i want to run it again so badly. i gotta find a marathon around here somewhere. good luck training. i know you've wanted to do this for a while and i know you'll do GREAT!!!