Friday, September 12, 2008

The Power of Intention


I am so into personal development right now. During my associate degree-seeking days at Dixie College, I took a 1 credit class called "Personal Development" taught by a hippy-style woman that was the coolest person I'd met up 'til that point. I loved the class so much and asked the instructor why it wasn't a required class! Looking back, it was the most beneficial, impactful course of my entire college career! (All for 1 credit.)

Moving on,

Life is about cycles and my current cycle is back into personal development.

This week we have been putting into practice the "power of intention." And I just felt like sharing.

An intention is different than a goal - maybe it's just semantics - but in my mind, they're different.

My own definition of intention is that it is something you're grateful for now, that exists now, but may be currently en route to you. You may not have it, physically, literally, at the moment, but it is an "intention" in your life that is real, possible, perhaps even inevitable AS LONG AS you participate in the equation that predicates its receipt.


Let's see if Mark can explain this better - (Bible, Mark 11:24)

"Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."


And from the "voice of 2 or 3 witnesses..."

Moroni 7: 26 (Book of Mormon)

"...Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you."


These two examples of intentions introduce, or expound on, an equation, a pattern, an actual formula for obtaining anything. Imagine you're wanting something, praying for it. Is that thing you want suddenly created after your prayer is received? No - it exists already. Where is it? When will it come to you? How will it get to you? Will it ever come to you if you don't instigate its receipt through participation in the equation/formula upon which it is predicated? That's my question - that's my journey.

Will you receive it if you pray for it WITHOUT faith? Without REALLY believing that you deserve, or can possibly receive it? Let's be honest, how many of our prayers are undermined by these negative, fearful, disbelieving feelings? Perhaps only unconsciously for many of us. This will be another topic for another day, but I'm convinced that many of us who consider ourselves to be "faithful" individuals actually run day to day on Premium, Unleaded Fear, not faith. I digress...


What does an INTENTION sound like?

Example, "I am grateful for the home we own."

Is there a home out there for us? I know there is. Am I in it right now? Nope. Am I grateful for it today? Yes!

Example #2, "I am grateful for the successful home birth of my 4th child." Have I delivered yet? Not for another 6 months. Am I grateful for it? Yes!


What is the purpose of having, stating, believing in intentions?

It is the process (literally, the formula/equation/process) of bringing into our lives the things we most desire. Without it, obtaining our desires is as unpredictable and as fleeting as catching, and keeping, a bubble on a toothpick.


Where did all this come from? You ask. I had a nap today. It's amazing how many synapses can fire when I'm not sleep deprived.

9 comments:

Marcee said...

Insightful Angel... you really opened my eyes today, and to something that I already knew! Thank you...

Patria said...

Homebirthing! Yay! I'm sure you've seen the Business of Being Born, but I completely LOVE that documentary on birth in America. I would have 10 kids just to have 10 homebirths! (: Deep inside I think there is a midwife waiting to start nursing school (:
Thanks for your great post!

Leilani Bascom said...

just wanted to say hello to you angel and your sweet family!

sanaejames photography said...

you should write a book. period. you always know what to say that just makes sense! you seriously should think about it.:)

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I have been missing all of your insight on our morning runs. But this is a good reminder of our time together! Thanks! I'm excited about your home birth! Let me know how it goes!

See ya soon!

seesuerun said...

I am really glad I read this. Thanks!

Pirate Princess said...

I have been reading some of your blog posts. I'm glad to know I am not the only other woman in the church that believes in intention. My girls went to Tiffany's house for a mom school back when she lived in Blackfoot.

I thoroughly enjoyed your post on "eating the scriptures". Very poignant.

I found you via google search on "say go be do" - I couldn't find my notes and couldn't remember the difference between "go and do" - my daughter is in a LEMI commonwealth, but hasn't taken TJYC yet, so she couldn't remember either. Thank you for sharing that earlier in the year!

mandy said...

thankyou so much for this post!! you are so inspiring!!! I soo feel the negative undertones and its great to recognize something so I can change it!! Ive been laughing lately cause wwe attract everything we want except for cash...we live in a gorgeous house we drive a freaking awesome car Jake make the album of his dreams...we went to europe...we get everything we want but we dont own anything and we are totally broke...but we are dressed as the lilys of the feild you know...what do you think I can do to get the cash...haha...I totally think we are doing something wrong...like feeling like we dont deserve it or something. anyways let me know what you think cuz I would love you to be my life coach:D...love ya...mandy

Sarah said...

I love the way you write, very inspiring! You should check out my aunt's blog - willgowilldo.blogspot.com. She talks a lot about the power of intention, etc.