Tuesday, December 30, 2008

PRAY ALWAYS - Elder Bednar


I am finally doing something I've considered doing for years: Reading the General Conference issue of the Ensign magazine (of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints), article by article and studying each message and trying to apply it to my life.
I can't get over it. How could that much "gold" be dropped in my lap every 6 months??? It's one thing to hear it, but quite another to read it (okay, Nic, reading books may bring a different power than listening to audiobooks).
On pg 41, Elder Bednar talks about prayer. His 1st principle is that, "Prayer becomes more meaningful as we counsel with the Lord in ALL our doings."
"How do I apply this?" I thought. The idea came that by writing down "all my doings," all that I want/need to get done, and taking them, one by one, to the Lord. It reminds me of how Sai helps me when I'm feeling stressed. He'll say, "List the things that are bothering you, or that you have to get done." When I list them, it's generally about 5 things and right off, that doesn't seem as overwhelming as it had when they were all meshed together in my head.
Next he'll take on the things he can do to help - pointing out that I don't have to do everything.
Then, he helps me break down the other things into manageable "bites" to accomplish them with ease.
I realized that Sai has patterned for me exactly what the Lord can do, too, if I were to counsel with Him in ALL of my doings.
Another insight came from our "Grandpa" (Gawain) Wells (BYU Professor of psychology, author, etc.) He once stated that when he's working on writing (for publication, for a talk, etc.) That he starts with a prayer, asking the Lord to help him write truth and the things the Lord would have him say. Then, in an act of TRUE FAITH, he writes - and he trusts that what comes out on paper is being assisted from the Lord.
I've thought about how I may ask the Lord for help with something like that, and then I go forth with anxiety and doubt and work and re-work something according to my own will and mind.
What if I followed Elder Bednar's counsel and took each concern to the Lord, prayed with real faith, and then just followed the inspiration that came, without second guessing it? Well, we'll see what comes of it. I've made my list and there are currently 7 items on it (I must be more stressed than I thought:)

3 comments:

Jen Lee said...

I just read that article this morning~ wonderful!!!! Part of my morning has become eating my breakfast while reading 1 article in the conference issue. It is a great way to start my day and gives me something new to think about each time. I just started this about a month ago~ why did it take me so long?!?

Marcee said...

Reading the conference ensign really is different then just watching a listening to it. We all get together for breakfast at my parents house and watch it, but then with all 8 kiddos, you are bound to miss something. Reading it gets me remembering things I have forgetten and learning things I didn't hear before.

Patria said...

I echo that reading them brings a whole new perspective. I recently sat down to look at a list of conference talks online to choose which one to present to the young women. I was overwhelmed with all the "gold." One ended up jumping out at me, but I had such a renewing experience reading over a few talks until I found the right one for the class. Why don't I do it more often?