Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update on Meditation


My "ah-hah."
In what state of mind do you receive revelation/spiritual inspiration? Past, present or future?
Easy question, isn't it?
The present. The Holy Ghost cannot speak to you in the past or the future, right?
Now, honestly, out of 100% of your day, what percentage do you think you spend in meditation, or in other words, in the present?
My brother answered by saying, "About 2%."
Phenomenal!
That 2% has an interesting correlation with what brain research shows in the book The Answer. It states that our conscious minds account for about 2-4% of our daily activity and that our unconscious minds control 96-98% of what takes place in our lives.
How much of our lives, then, is directed by the Spirit?
What spurred this was reading Julie Beck's testimony in the March 2009 Ensign. On page 19 she states, "Each sister should seek to have the Holy Ghost guide her." It is such a common sentiment in our church, that it's almost unnoticeable. However, I've had meditation and being in the present on my mind. So I asked myself, "When can the Holy Ghost speak to me?"
It is true that most of us spend most of our day in the past or the future. Yet, many of us would agree that our goal is to "live by the Spirit." Well, perhaps there's more of a formula or behavioral approach to accomplishing that goal than we think. Maybe it takes more physiological effort than simply stating that as a desire in our conscious minds.
MEDITATE ON THAT!
...and you have GOT to watch this! It makes me want to run to the top of a mountain and shout for joy!

Thanks Quincy!
WE ARE CREATORS - BUT WE CANNOT CREATE IN THE PAST OR IN THE FUTURE. CREATION HAPPENS NOW - "MEDITATE AND CREATE" Angel Naivalu

1 comment:

Quincy said...

That is amazing! I was thinking about how the non-conscious operates in the present only and what that means practically in my day. I think, Oh sure I've got to state my goals in the present (a major shift for me, and a labor to perform) but once I can do that naturally--then what? What does it REALLY mean? And you've nailed it! My acorn seed, because I've been thinking about this, drew unto it this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLlnq5yY7k
Wouldn't you say its impact is far magnified by your insight?