Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Outcome!


(Yes, both eyes open...just not for photos!)
Josaia was overdue, we later learned, because he was quite entangled in the cord, including twice around his neck, so tightly, that the midwife couldn't slip her finger between his neck and cord to release it. When he was fully born, a few sommersaults got him untangled. He had been "held up" inside and had not descended for this reason. Thus my body had not been triggered into labor. I tried everything - even castor oil! Thank heavens the Lord prevented MY efforts until the right timing and spirit were there. It was all a beautiful miracle!

Josaia David Naivalu - born at home on 2:51 a.m. on Friday, April 3, 2009
8 lbs 7 oz. 21 inches long.
I have written a full-length birth story as a record of this awesome event. I would gladly email it to anyone interested in more details. To summarize the lessons learned from this very special home birth, I have listed the following key points:

1. Trust in the Lord. Moments after Josaia’s safe arrival, I reflected on this scripture: Ether 12:6 (from the Book of Mormon) states, “ And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.” God WAS with me all along – even when I felt unsure of what decisions to make. I had to make them myself and proceed with faith, knowing that He would intercede and prompt me otherwise if I was not following His will.
2. Letting Go of Pain. Angie facilitated this great lesson. After each contraction, she would smooth her hands over my face and body and say, “Let it go. That one is over and you never have to live it again.” The profound lesson is that with any pain, hurt, discouragement or despair in life, once the moment is over, LET IT GO! Once you’ve lived through it, it’s over and you never have to repeat that exact same moment. Staying in the present this way helped me to not fear the upcoming contraction. It helped me to not carrying the tension of the past into the future. This made each contraction a unique effort and ultimately more bearable. I know that if I can live my life this way, releasing any resentment, anger, fear, shame…..as the moment passes, I will have healthier relationships and ultimately more joy from day to day.
3. My Joy is Directly Related to My Pain and Sacrifice. I believe there is opposition in all things and that the opposition is always equal in intensity to the potential for joy. Anything I do that is easy, or nearly effortless, will bring that same level of satisfaction and joy with it. Anything I do that requires work, sacrifice, and/or pain will bring with it that same level of satisfaction and joy. A marathon is a good example. For me, running a marathon is the celebration party after months of hard training. Crossing the finish line is pure elation. Homebirth has blessed me with a similar, almost unexplainable level of satisfaction and joy. I never would have understood it, had I not experienced it.

I am truly grateful for this experience and in every way, on every account, I personally prefer my home birth experience over my hospital births.

Thank you Mom. Thank you Sai. Thank you Angie. Thank you Anja. Thank you Liz. Thank you Josaia. Thank you Heavenly Father.
And thank you to all who sent messages and prayers in our behalf!

22 comments:

Rach said...

Congratulations!! He is a beautiful boy!! You are just destined to have GORGEOUS boys!! One day we will play again. I wish you a GREAT recovery.

Meilani said...

Congratulations. I am glad that he is healthy and doing well despite the tangled chord. Thank you for sharing you lessons learned.

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

we're having our second in September. your story has gotten me pumped for birth!

Josiah is a great name. He's super cute, was is expected.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! A miracle for sure! Thank you for sharing the insight you've learned through this birth. You have always been and are a wonderful teacher. I can't wait to meet this newest little Naivalu. Please give the boys a hug for me and tell them I KNOW they each will be a great older brother.

Natalie. said...

Yeah right, you didn't have a baby! You're just recycling pictures of the other boys trying to trick us! :)

We're so so so SO happy for you! Love you guys!!!!!!! xoxox!

Patria said...

homebirth is where it's at! so happy for you guys! a miracle for sure...

Kristin Lynne said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful, and will make a fine addition to the Naivalu clan. I'd love to read your birth story, but I'll email you! I love you guys!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! You are an amazing woman, and we all learn a lot from you!

Marcee said...

Yeah, he is finally here!! I am so happy for your family. What an adorable little boy you were sent. What a wonderful story to read... one day he will love hearing it over and over. I am so glad that all went well... here's to a full recovery!!

Unknown said...

Congrats! My mom did her 6th child as a home birth and it was really cool. I trained in hypnobirthing before David was born (excellent middle name, by the way) and really like the method--was yours similar? Brennen was the only one I actually did 100% naturally, but it was my favorite. I'd love to read the birth story--I'll email you.

Sherry said...

So glad he's finally here and all is well. He's adorable and as for a 4th boy, well, if you do something awesome then keep doing it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations he's beautiful! I'm glad that it was such a postitive experience for you, and that you had some good help. I'm especially glad that he got here safely. Thank you for sharing your insights.

Kahilau said...

Wow Angel, What a beautiful post! He is a miracle and blessing in so many ways. I have been in a deep funk all morning and struggling to get out of it. THANK YOU THANK YOU! for your post. What a beautiful reminder of so many important lessons. Thank you for sharing so candidly with us. Congrats to your beautiful family!

Team Hodges said...

He's beautiful! Welcome to Earth, Josaia! You say things so well and always give me something new to think about or more often, you give me a new way to think about an old thing. Love you! Would it be alright with you if I copied your insights to my blog/facebook. Let me know.

tyandnat said...

Angel...I love you! Isn't it funny how life has brought us many of the same experiences??? Some of them by chance - circle kids! Some of them by choice - marathons and natural birth and many others! Either way, I love sharing my life with you!!!

Krissy said...

Congratulations! He is darling. What a blessing that everything worked out so well! I can't wait to meet him!

sanaejames photography said...

YAY! I had been wondering how it all went! I'm glad things turned out okay. I would have been freaking out. for sure. CONGRATS lady! You are truly an amazing woman. and your little one is SO SO adorable!

Natalie said...

Congratulations! What an amazing triumph! He is a beautiful baby.

SaraoFam said...

He is beautiful. I am so glad we drew you over to the homebirth side and had such a good experience (besides the waiting). He doesn't look like so new of a baby but he is sure healthy huh? Congrats. I would love a copy of your birth story too.

Molly Bea said...

Congratulations on another beautiful boy! I guess you guys just know how to make great boys! That's good, we need good parents raising righteous boys! hope you are enjoying Aspen...we were living there this time last year, but I remember wishing it to be warmer every day! Hope you are feeling well. Kisses for that baby!
Molly

ali said...

wonderment. pure joy. congrats, again and again!

Babybizliz said...

I am getting ready to begin my book on the spiritual advantages of natural childbirth. I have lost the original manuscript in a computer crash and haven't yet located the back up disk made long ago. I may have to start over. Do you mind if I quote your "lessons learned?"