Tuesday, January 1, 2008

ADDICTION


I have heard and ignored whisperings of the spirit for sometime now.

It's at the end of the day, when I lay down to sleep, that my mind starts to unwind and I think of things other than who is hungry, who needs to be changed, when I'm going to get the shopping done, what we're going to eat for each meal (etc....you all know the routine). Time and time again during these "unlaxing" moments I have had subtle thoughts come to me about the urgency of delving deeper into consistent scripture study. I respond to these promptings with, "Scriptures! Who has time for scriptures? Let alone my Sunday lesson manuals, good grief! I'm too tired at night to even see straight, the mornings are too hectic, and I'm running all day from child to child answering never ending summons!"

And then, during one particular "justification session," a humbling realization hit me.

I have an ADDICTION.

Then the following questions entered my mind like a courthouse interrogation:

"Do you have time to answer the cell phone during the day?"

"Do you have time to read and compose emails?"

The answers to each were an obvious, "Yes."

A final question came, "How is it you have plenty of TIME to communicate with so many other people and you have no time for the Lord?"

From this humbling call to repentence, I began to evaluate how and when I use the internet. While I thought I was not obsessed or addicted, because I so honestly log on only "when kids are sleeping or spending quality time with someone else", (uh, huh) I came to realize that it is my preferred form of escape and entertainment, all disguised by the cloak of "I'm just keeping in touch with friends and family."

I decided to challenge myself -

I WILL NOT LOG ON TO EMAIL OR ANSWER A CELL PHONE UNTIL I HAVE READ MY SCRIPTURES EACH DAY.

Some interesting things have occurred - I was surprised at my own addictive behaviors and responses.

While immersed in the scriptures, guess what I've discovered? They're screaming with prophecies and warnings that apply to our time!

I've had to ask myself, "Great and Spacious Building or Iron Rod....Where do I stand?"

This will be a fabulous new year!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts. I think your resolution to not answer the phone or get online will help you get going intially. After that it just becomes a habit. Even though life is hectic with three kids and no husband its worth the effort. The moment I get my kids down for a nap I head straight in for my scriptures, if I delay or try to do something else first it doesn't happen. So I, like you have made rules that the scripture reading is the first thing I do with my first truly spare moment. It has worked for me.

i'm erin. said...

I too have an addiction...hmm words to ponder my native friend

Natalie. said...

Oh I love my Angel! Thank you for that. Any room for me to jump aboard that resolved train of yours? You CONSTANTLY inspire me.

Jen Lee said...

So, after just spending an hour on the computer checking email and blogging, I am feeling a little guilty, but mostly inspired by you! What wonderful goals you have made~ or more accurately life style changes. Because a goal is something you accomplish/finish and what you are working on will continue. Thank you!

Amberli said...

ooo, i like this idea. maybe i'll build up the guts to make that commitment.