Thursday, January 10, 2008

It's like LIGHTENING!


I am super excited about a few new things in life - I don't know which strand to address first, but I am so ENERGIZED by them, I just have to share. It's like LIGHTENING to my SOUL and BODY!


First, a BIG FAT THANKS to Kami Mitchell - On New Year's Eve she introduced me to the practice of gratitude.

It is SO different from the simple prayer statements of, "Thank you for ...."

This is WAKING UP and saying, "I AM GRATEFUL FOR ________" and then continuing with at leat 5 things, each time saying the complete phrase, ""I AM GRATEFUL FOR ________."

And then, getting into your "Gratitude Journal" and writing down what you're grateful for TODAY, then writing what you want to have come into your life and already feeling grateful for.


I was in a total FUNK (definition: A trendy word for "Depression.") for a while over the holidays. While I was having some great times, I felt a decrease in energy and motivation (hmmm, lots of extra sugar, no exercise, lots of gatherings with germy relatives, I wonder what was behind the fatigue?)

But on New Year's Eve, thanks to Kami's mentoring, I was able to RENEW my desire to RUN again. And so....

On New Year's Day at 5:00 a.m. when I thought I wanted to stay in bed, I said, "I'm grateful to be breathing." As I got dressed and headed out into the cold, dark air, I could honestly say, "I'm grateful that my legs work. I'm grateful that there is NO SNOW in St. George..." and on from there.


SURPRISINGLY - Can I just say - I felt a physical release - a loosness in my body, especially my shoulders and chest after saying these gratitude statements aloud and literally envisioning them coming right out of my heart! woa! And I ran 3 miles.

Suddenly - I was transformed out of my FUNK and into my CHI. (Definition: trendy term for being in tune with your mind/body/spirit connection). I have been running since Jan 1 and will run 10 miles tomorrow! NO JOKE! I have more energy during the days and feel recognizably more optimistic, patient, loving and GRATEFUL all day long.

Go Ahead - try it - And then tell me about YOUR EXPERIENCE!


(At night I've been telling my boys, "I'm grateful that you spent time with me today." "I'm grateful that you helped me make dinner." Etc. It's revolutionary!)

4 comments:

i'm erin. said...

ohhhhh I love your blog! I am grateful for your inspirational blog, because I too was in a funk and today I am changing that to find out what I am grateful for. thanks, luv erin

Natalie. said...

I'm grateful for my Angel!

Jen Lee said...

You are amazing and such an inspiration to me. I will let you know how it goes....

Amberli said...

oh i love this! another inspiring post. i've been keeping a grateful journal for the last four weeks but i'm going to practice this new way to enhance my gratitude. and i'm just going to throw out an AMEN to your running testimony! there is nothing like it! adios funk, hello chi!