Friday, January 18, 2008

SAY-GO-BE-DO




What is a, “SAY-GO-BE-DO?”
It is just ONE of the life-changing principles that is impacting my family this year.

Here’s the story:
My friend, Tiffany, was in church, singing the hymn, “I’ll Go Where You Want Me To Go.” Feeling inspired, she began to jot down key words while she sang. When she looked at her paper, she saw the words, “SAY-GO-BE-DO.”

Tiffany and others have developed this word chain into a phrase that is changing lives! It is the theme for an annual youth conference called, “Youth For America.”

Here’s what it means:
Whenever you SAY (with your mind, heart, or mouth), that you should do something, want to do something, could or ought to do something, then you STOP AND TAKE NOTICE!
Next, you GO! You ACT on that thought.
Then you BEcome who you were prompted to become, and
You DO what it was you were supposed to do.

You may have heard similar thoughts, such as, “Listen to the still, small voice. “ Or “Follow the promptings of the Spirit.” BUT HOW OFTEN DO WE DO THAT?

How many times in a day do you think, “I should call that person?” “I should take my kids there.” “I should tell my spouse how much I love him.” And on and on….
How often do you have “good ideas” that would benefit your ward, family, or community? But the ideas fly out of your mind as quickly as they seemed to enter.

If we “SAY-GO-BE-DO,” then these thoughts will continue to come with greater intensity and purpose.

Just one moment this week when I put this into practice.
I was running around my neighborhood in the evening and contemplating the profound concept of “SAY-GO-BE-DO.” When I looked up and noticed I was passing a house, just across the street from my own, where I’d recently learned that a non-LDS family had moved into (in the years since I’ve lived at home.) I had been SAYING – “I should go introduce myself to them,” for several weeks. I had even thought, “I’ll take them a cheese ball for Christmas.” BUT I did NOT “SAY-GO-BE-DO.” It just died right after the SAY part.

So there I was, sweaty, stinky, and on-the-spot. Unfortunately, “SAY-GO-BE-DO” does not have a “sweaty, stinky” exemption clause.
I said a quick prayer and approached the door.
I spoke with the woman of the house for a little while. We had a great conversation, she was very amiable. But of all the miracles – come to find out, she has just taken up running!
I can’t help but wonder, if I hadn’t done my “SAY-GO-BE-DO,” at that moment, would running ever have come up in our conversation? Would I have been able to begin a relationship of trust built on a common denominator?
What matters is that I did follow that prompting and I felt so GRATEFUL that I did.

D&C 30: 5, 11
5 Behold, I say unto you, …for the time has come that it is expedient in me that you shall open your mouth to declare my gospel; therefore, fear not, but give heed unto the words and advice of your brother, which he shall give you.
• • •
11 And your whole labor shall be in Zion, with all your soul, from henceforth; yea, you shall ever open your mouth in my cause, not fearing what man can do, for I am with you. Amen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reading one of the Ensign article, Steve Snow's talk on service and he said that we need to "look for opportunities" to share the gospel and serve not just sit back and wait for them to fall into our laps, that is being negligiant of our duties as Latter-day Saints. Looking is being actively involved in our neighbors lives not just being content to wave as we pass by. I need to do sooo much better. You are already on your way.

Natalie. said...

Yum. I love every word you ever speak. They fill my soul. I love you!

Jillyn said...

I found your blogspot from Adam and Fiona's so I guess I'm stalking you but just need you to know I enjoyed reading this great bit of advice of which I needed to hear as I'm guilty of the "not doing" stuff. I hope I'll be better and keep my mind full of the "say-go-be-do" and then follow through. Thanks for letting me stop by. Jillyn

Jen Lee said...

I am always so inspired by your insight on life! I am so excited that just earlier today I had a chance to "do" and I actually did it! We got 12+ inches of snow today and as I was shoveling I noticed a lady down the street who had gotten stuck. I had already been shoveling for almost an hour and was very tired, but I dropped my shovel and went to help her out. It felt so good, didn't take much time, actually gave me more energy to finish my driveway! Thanks for a new motto.

Meilani said...

Hi Angel! I sure miss you. You are always such a good influence on me. I really enjoyed these comments and thought I would share a similar experience. I have recently been trying to recognize and act on promptings of the spirit. One morning while I was reading the Ensign I felt a distinct prompting to copy the talk I was reading and share it with my next door neighbor (non-member). My immediate reaction was that there were far better talks from conference that would teach her more about the gospel. Maybe I would read the entire Ensign (all of the conference talks) then choose the one I thought was just right, and then take one over to her. But the new me decided to just do it. The talk was from the R.S. session of general conference about three goals we as women should have for the kind of women we ought to be. So when I took the article over I told my friend that I was reading that article that morning and that it reminded me of her because I thought she was the very kind of great woman that Elder Monson spoke of. She immediately shared with me that in church the day before she had a run-in with another woman where she had been personally criticized. She expressed that coming home that day she was feeling pretty bad about herself and shared with her husband that very night her frustration. She told me that she felt my coming over was a direct sign of God's love for her and that he approved of the kind of person she was. I felt so grateful that I followed the specific prompting and that I could help her receive a showing of God's love in her life.

Rachel Doyle said...

Angel,

I came across your blog from Amber's. I really found this post to be very inspirational - Thanks I need to be better at sharing the gospel. Rachel Cornwell-Doyle