Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thoughts While Running...BAREFOOT


Still reading Born to Run, by McDougall. I can't believe the case he makes correlating injuries and running shoes.
Yesterday I told Sai that I was going to run barefoot.
"Are you crazy?" He said.
"Now that's funny," I responded, "How old were you when you got your first pair of shoes?"
"8 or 9." He responded.
"Does everyone in Fiji wear shoes?" I asked.
"Nope."
"And I'M crazy!?!"
"Ya, well, they've been doing it all their lives." He retorts.
"Well, then, I guess it's time I start." I concluded.

This morning at 5:30 a.m. it was cold. I walked across the street, carrying my shoes, apprehension flooding over me like a tidal wave. I recognized the fearful thoughts in my head, "I don't know how to do this!" Then quickly contradicted the imposter in my mind, "Of course you do...you were born to run!"
The ground was wet from rain. Yet almost instantly, as I began to run, I felt like a child, playfully meandering through the playground. It was easy and fun.
EPIPHANY -
Running is fun!
Our society has killed the natural love for running by making it competitive and painful (through "technology" and "running shoes").
By punishing athletes with ladders and sprints,
By holding track meets where a small percentage of all kids are recognized for speed and the rest left feeling like they're not runners. (Big issue for me. This morning I recreated my elementary school track meet in my head. I remember who was there and who won. Then, while I ran barefoot, I spoke to them, "How many of you can do this? How many of you will be with me at mile 26 in 6 weeks? Who are you to say I can't run?")
Everything I'd read about Barefoot Ted in Born to Run was right on. My foot just knew what to do to avoid rocks and pokies. I naturally improved my posture and speed. And, did I mention, IT WAS FUN!
I've decided I'm going to train barefoot a few days a week. And when I'm with my kids, I will not use the phrase, "Slow down, don't run." If they start to run, I'll run with them. I want them to know that running is natural and fun and that we are built to run.
I'm taking their tennis shoes away and esp. Aisea's orthodics (communist contraptions.)
This is so fun and so freeing.


I challenge YOU, if you hate to run, GO BAREFOOT and revive your childhood joy!
(Honestly, I'm not a bra-burning hippy.....not yet :)

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I can relate to that feeling that "I can't run." I spent most of my life convinced that I hate to run. And then I discovered how therapeutic and freeing it was! I don't always love to run, but now that baby/schedule has made it hard to get out there to run...I REALLY miss it!

Natalie. said...

there's a chiropractor in my parents ward in alpine who we all really respect and he runs roughly 10 miles every day or two barefoot. He is one of the most fit and healthy (physically, emotionally and spiritually) men I know. go angel! you are SO INSPIRING TO ME!

Natalie. said...

ps I miss you!