Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss...But Knowledge is Joy


I have noticed a pattern in my life: ignorance. Being raised in a culturally encapsulated environment (translation - homogenous group; pretty much white and LDS for starters), in an uneducated, unexposed family environment, I developed the ability (or limitation, rather), to make assumptions and form opinions based on my imaginative perceptions rather than on information or truth. Over the years, through travel, mission, college, work, and living with people from many parts of the world, I have been gratefully blessed with having this ignorance challenged. Over time, I grew to not fear the word "ignorance," nor to be ashamed to admit that, "I am ignorant," because it is not tied to my worth, it's merely a state of having knowledge or a lack of it.

Just the other day, I realized I have had yet another revelation of my former ignorance. The pattern I'm seeing is this: When a subject arises, of which I am ignorant yet have strong assumptions regarding it, I now seek more information from several valid and reliable sources in order to validate, or adapt if necessary, my position. The result has been that as I gain more credible information, I have the tendency to adopt a position on that subject that is outside of the mainstream's value base, or a more "radical" stance than the bulk of society. Not ever being one to feel insecure with peer pressure, this "outsider" position hasn't tortured me, nor tempted me to resist my movement towards a less popular alliance, when my move is based on my values and beliefs. Simply - I am okay with letting others have their beliefs even when mine are different and still being great friends.

What I have noticed is that perhaps this ignorance is a greater part of society at large than simply a reflection of a small town, LDS community and individual family.

There seems to be a tradition of ignorance in our modern American history. There's a broad difference in the education and thoughts of our founding fathers and mothers and the average level of education of an American today.

I digress.

What has brought me to reconsider that perhaps I am not the only ignorant person is being confronted by the uneducated, uninformed oppositions toward some of the choices I am making in my life: homeschooling my children and homebirth. (Just to pick 2).

I do not mean this in a condeming way. The oppositions simply remind ME of the uninformed beliefs I ONCE HELD on the same topics and the persecutions (whether they were verbal or kept to myself) I heaped upon others who have made the choices that I am now making.

I reflect in horror at how determined I WAS that somehow I knew, or knew better, than someone else who was in fact making an educated choice where I was not exercising ANY choice, simply following the popular crowd.


As I thought about these experiences recently, the phrase, "Ignorance is bliss" came to mind and I have challenged it for myself that if it is bliss, than "Knowledge is Joy," because pulling away from the mainstream and living my life in an assertive, empowering, personalized way has been liberating.


I'll get more specific next time.

P.S. Don't be offended - this is my blog - my thoughts - my opinions - it's NOT a reflection of anyone else's worth.

8 comments:

mandy said...

i love this!! nice work my friend!! You know I want to do a write up on the psychology of forgiving and letting go. Got any good ideas or articles for me?

Jen said...

I think one of the greatest things we can do for ourselves is make our own decisions, which means we are informed and choose what is best for us. I think it is wonderful that our decisions do not have to be based on those around us. I find great joy when I make a decision based on actively seeking information rather than passively choosing one option or the other. It is a great thing to keep in mind!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

Any chance Sai could get a job here in Northern California? Because, holy cow, would you fit in. I know are not concerned about fitting in but it would be nice to have you as neighbors none the less!

fijiangirl said...

I love this post. I have been experienceing the same thing and come to realize that we must to what is right for ourselves and families and not what the whole says is right!

Sherry said...

It's great that you are doing what's right for your family and your situation in life, especially when it's not mainstream. Everyone has the right to choose for themselves, and no one has the right to invalidate another's beliefs, even (and especially) when they disagree.

Anonymous said...

I admire you for following your heart and mind on things regarding your personal well being. We are all different, and it is neat to see and hear about the things you are doing with your family. I think, no I KNOW you are a strong enough woman to handle these so called "persecutions."

Michellie-mom said...

I'll have to pick your brain some time on home schooling...Aaron and I have tossed around the idea but don't know much yet (we still have a few years) :) Also, we did A TON of research on cloth diapering before Krisanna was born and were planning on doing it but didn't in the end due to a number of factors...that's a story for another day (maybe our 4 second visit).

Kristin Lynne said...

I have also discovered what you have. Once I decided to base my opinions on fact and really educate myself on matters, I have found myself doing things I didn't think I would EVER do! We cloth diaper, I had my baby naturally, I will have homebirths from now on, etc etc etc. I am still surprised at how ignorant I am on tons of other matters, but I try every day to learn more. It's never-ending, this thirst for knowledge.